Love poems - the age-old way of expressing those inner
The ode, ode story for when plain speaking just won't
do - take the word of the prose for it!
Love poems aren't just a romantic notion - why not write one
and submit it to our free anthology of poetry?
Love Poems make up the majority of any anthology a poet like myself
attempts to organise. One might wonder why one such aspect of poetry has
such a following - are we really that romantic, for example?
No, Love Poems are multi-faceted; in fact they can refer to just about
all relationships whether or not the individuals are actually in love.
Love poems don't have to just be ways of saying 'I love you' in verse,
they can be used to describe many other situations. Let's consider what
love poems can be used for.
- Romantic love - the classic suitor turned poet expressing his or
her love as a poem or ode.
- Passionate love - where one party wants to escalate the physical
aspect of love.
- Affectionate love - given for the pleasure of pleasing the
recipient without desire to gain.
- Compassionate love - caring love for one who cannot help
- Selfless love - where the needs of the other party are the sole
- Patriarchal love - esteem for one's country, culture and way of
- Infatuated love - obsessive or misdirected love given without
logic or thought of reciprocation.
- Puppy love - that first romance, crush or romantic feeling - a
love which can never be equalled because it will always be unsullied.
- True friendship - a closeness or camaraderie that often only
manifests itself in times of hardship or conflict.
.... and where they can be used;
- Gifts - love poems make wonderful personal presents. Express
your innermost feelings for the one you love on a special occasion
such as a birthday, Christmas, New Year or anniversary.
- Dating - best not given in the first few meetings, love poems
can allow you to explore your feelings for your new partner.
- Messages - even a simple message such as arranging a meeting can
be made more romantic by a few well-chosen words.
- Apologies - romance can be used to defuse most faux-pas; give it
- Thank you's - likewise love poems can be used to emphasise your
pleasure from the present or action you have just benefited from.
- Invitations - welcome your love one in romantic verse.
- Describing emotions - stuck for words? Don't flounder with the
spoken word, say it in a poem. It is much easier to express those
innermost feelings with poetry than prose.
You can probably think of many more uses of love poems - why not
write a few and then submit them to us here at poem-and-poet?
Hope you enjoyed our suggestions for writing love poems.